Lawson believes that we need to drive discovery while also being strategic in our health research investments, and translate discoveries into practice to create value both for our patients and for our economy.
The institute partners with both provincial and national advocacy organizations.
The Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario (CAHO) represents Ontario’s 24 research hospitals that play a unique and vital role in the province’s health care system. Collectively, the organization provides advanced patient care services, train the next generation of health care professionals, and conduct leading-edge research to discover tomorrow’s care today. As connectors in the system, CAHO creates capacity and generate a healthier, wealthier, smarter Ontario.
CAHO advocates on behalf of its members and all of Ontario to achieve strategic objectives and provide for best possible care for patients. Find more about how investment in health research is making Ontario Healthier, Wealthier and Smarter.
- Healthier, Wealthier, Smarter: A Health Research Agenda for Patients, People and Prosperity
- Ontario Health Research and Innovation Council
- Ontario Research Fund (ORF)
- Research Foci of Ontario’s Academic Health Sciences Centre
HealthCareCAN is the national voice of healthcare organizations across Canada. It fosters informed and continuous, results oriented discovery and innovation across the continuum of healthcare. The organization acts with others to enhance the health of the people of Canada; to build the capability for high quality care; and, to help ensure value for money in publicly financed, healthcare programs.
Advocating for better health and healthcare
The people of Canada expect and deserve service excellence across the continuum of healthcare. In partnership with key stakeholders, HealthCareCAN is committed to driving healthcare innovation in support of overall service excellence to restore Canada’s reputation as a top performing healthcare system by:
- Securing strategic investments and policy support for healthcare innovations aimed at priority areas, including helping vulnerable people of Canada
- Advancing the generation, dissemination and adoption of knowledge and innovative practice by convening health stakeholders
- Creating one advocacy voice for the full continuum of healthcare delivery organizations across Canada, influencing federal, provincial and territorial governments and advisory bodies.
Research Canada is a national, broad-based alliance dedicated to advancing health research through collaborative advocacy.
Research Canada’s Advocacy Program is designed to foster relationships and understanding among Canada’s elected officials and policy makers. Working closely with our members and partners, we strive to build awareness across the federal government and its many departments for the value of Canadian health research as a catalyst to improve health and generate wealth.
- Non-partisan parliamentary Health Research Caucus
- Institute Visit Program
- Initiatives such as the 2015 Election resource “Your Candidates Your Health”
Research Canada is an advocacy organization engaged in influencing the public policy process directly and indirectly. In terms of the latter, the organization undertakes an education program that demonstrates the value proposition of health research through activities such as public opinion polling and its Health Research Caucus.
Research Canada also plays an important role in directly influencing policy through its participation in public policy processes and in the R7 or Research Seven—a group of seven national health organizations dedicated to advancing health research and health innovation through a series of activities focused on creating policy work products and lobbying government directly.