Dr. Velji holds the position of the Vice President for Patient Care and Quality at St. Joseph’s Health Care in London Ontario. Most recently, Dr. Velji was the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Nursing Executive at Baycrest, a global leader in innovations in aging and brain health and Vice President of Patient Care and Chief Nursing Executive at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, which is now a program of University Health Network.
Dr. Velji is a sought after consultant for system level projects. She has led the development of patient experience projects for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and the Local Health Integration Networks in Ontario. She has led external reviews of several organizations including Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Bruyere Continuing Care and Schlegel Villages.
Dr. Velji’s responsibilities extend to provincial and national leadership. She is the President and Chair of the Board of Directors of Canadian Nurses Association and Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of Accreditation Canada.
Dr. Velji has cross-appointments to the University of Toronto and McMaster University. She has won several outstanding achievement awards including the Sigma Theta Tau Excellence in Administration award, University of Toronto Distinguished Alumni award, Ontario Hospital Association (OHA) Margaret Comack Award of Excellence in Nursing Leadership, and the Award of Excellence in Teaching (student nominated) from the Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing at University of Toronto. She is profiled in the boundless banner campaign as an outstanding alumnus of University of Toronto.
At the system/global level, Dr. Velji is a consultant to global sites, including East Africa, the Middle East and Asia, for development of quality of care and academic plan.
Professional and Academic Experience
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing Science, University of Toronto, 2006
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP), University of Toronto, 1997
- Master of Science (MSc) in Nursing Science, University of Toronto, 1997
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN), McMaster University, 1988
- University of Toronto, Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing (FON)
- University of Toronto, Department of Health Policy Management Excellence (HPME)
- University of Toronto, Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Sciences (GDRS)
- McMaster University, Faculty of Nursing (Nursing)
- University of Western Ontario (Nursing)
- Nippissing University (Nursing)
Research Interest Area
Historically, my research background has been focused on patient safety and quality, new models of care, and evidence based interventions. The new program of research will be cultivated on the theme of recovery and rehabilitation in mental health.
- Western University
- Lawson Health Research Institute
Other Professional Roles and Affiliations
- President and Chair, Board of Directors, Canadian Nurses Association, 2014-16
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Accreditation Canada, Member, 2012 – 2014; Vice Chair, 2014-16